Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Modifying and Clarifying the research proposal

PS: I modified the previous proposal different parts and made it more clear as well.

As you have seen in the proposal, finally, I decided to design a skin system for the facade that can breathe and ventilate through its membrane by inspiring the biological skin.
For the next step, I want to do some sketching for the system that I am going to design and model it with digital tool (ex. GC, but I am not sure about it).
Michela, for this purpose, what is your tool suggestion? Parametric tool or not?

As I told you I want to design a modular facade and embed my skin system design in it to have a uniform breathable facade. In my opinion, probably I will need parametric design for module shapes and their connection to form a facade. In this case, I can easily change and improve it during my design work.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara,

    if your new research questions are: "How can I design a breathable facade regarding the air ventilation, in order to make a suitable indoor space? " "How can I design a skin system for a facade to make it breathable in order to have a good ventilation?" I would assume you are going to define what good ventilation means and what suitable indoor space means – and then trying to achieve these conditions.
    It seems therefore you need to define a list of indoor qualities and design a system that allows fulfilling these qualities. This easily leads to the need of quantifying your air flow - which is something more than designing a parametric model, but would also require a CFD analysis. As told, if you want to work with CFD, you should talk with researchers/teachers form the wind group. CFD analysis are however not an easy task.

    If you indeed want to focus more on parametric design, then I would try to leave out the need of quantifying air flow. I would reformulate differently your research questions (but not now, do it in the coming days before Monday – for now work on your design).
    Out of the air flow quantification, I believe parametric design might be a good tool for your case too.

    For now, start working on your skin system and let’s come back on Thursday (if you can come at the lectures in the morning) to discuss what support could provide you parametric design with respect to the skin concept/ideas you will develop tomorrow.

    Michela

    ReplyDelete